Keep Us Strong WikiLeaks logo

Currently released so far... 251287 / 251,287

Articles

Browse latest releases

Browse by creation date

Browse by origin

A B C D F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z

Browse by tag

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Browse by classification

Community resources

courage is contagious

Viewing cable 10LUXEMBOURG11, TFHA01: LUXEMBOURG RESCUERS IN AND OUT OF HAITI IN 72 HOURS;

If you are new to these pages, please read an introduction on the structure of a cable as well as how to discuss them with others. See also the FAQs
Reference ID Created Released Classification Origin
10LUXEMBOURG11 2010-01-19 17:15 2011-08-30 01:44 UNCLASSIFIED Embassy Luxembourg
VZCZCXYZ0001
OO RUEHWEB

DE RUEHLE #0011/01 0192238
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
O 191715Z JAN 10
FM AMEMBASSY LUXEMBOURG
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 0059
INFO RUEHPU/AMEMBASSY PORT AU PRINCE IMMEDIATE
RHMFISS/HQ USSOUTHCOM MIAMI FL
RUCNDT/USMISSION USUN NEW YORK 0002
RUEHBS/AMEMBASSY BRUSSELS 0004
RUEHLE/AMEMBASSY LUXEMBOURG
UNCLAS LUXEMBOURG 000011 
 
SIPDIS 
DEPT FOR HAITI EARTHQUAKE TASK FORCE 
USAID/W FOR DCHA/OFDA 
DEPT FOR EUR/WE 
 
E.O. 12958: N/A 
TAGS: EAID PGOV LU HA
SUBJECT: TFHA01: LUXEMBOURG RESCUERS IN AND OUT OF HAITI IN 72 HOURS; 
GOL PROMISES 700,000 EUROS 
 
REF: LUXEMBOURG 7; STATE 4854 
 
1.       (U)          SUMMARY.  The Grand Duchy's 17-man contingent 
to Haiti has already returned to Luxembourg following provision of 
emergency services on the ground in Port-au-Prince.  The team 
returned to Belgium via Belgian military aircraft and were received 
back in Luxembourg by Defense Minister Halsdorf and Cooperation 
Minister Jacobs on Sunday (January 17).  In the face of some 
skepticism, the Luxembourg and Belgian teams announced their 
missions' withdrawal, saying they believed they had done all they 
could to aid in the effort to locate survivors.  Separately, 
Luxembourg's Council of State announced Friday (January 15) the 
GoL's intention to dedicate 700,000 euros (approximately US$1.05 
million) to the ongoing efforts in Haiti.  END SUMMARY 
 
 
 
2.       (SBU)     Pre-empting criticism that the assistance was 
short-lived, Red Cross representative Michel Feider commented that 
it makes little sense for a rescue team with rescue dogs to stay on 
the ground to search for survivors when the chances of finding 
survivors to rescue is greatly reduced 72-96 hours after an 
earthquake.  By staying on-site, Feider argued, the team runs the 
risk of getting underfoot of the other teams conducting recovery 
and humanitarian aid missions.  The Luxembourg Red Cross does, 
however, have a man on the ground as part of the effort to provide 
emergency medical assistance to survivors.  Laurence Klopp, a 
Luxembourgish member of the Benelux Emegency Response Unit, arrived 
in Santo Domingo on Saturday (January 16).  There is reportedly 
also a nurse scheduled to travel to Haiti this week, as part of the 
Luxembourg chapter of Doctors Without Borders (Medecins Sans 
Frontieres). 
 
 
 
3.       (U)          According to Luxembourgish daily Le 
Quotidien, one source close to the rescuers speaking on condition 
of anonymity suggested the decision for the rescue mission to come 
home so soon was influenced by "political" motivations linked to 
security-related problems on the ground.  According to the same 
story, the UN blue helmets providing protection to the 
Luxembourgers came under fire - presumably from looters - Saturday 
evening (January 16).  While sources appear to be members of the 
rescue team itself, the team leader, Yves Marx, told the press that 
the team's departure was not accelerated due to security threats. 
"We never had the impression that we were under threat," Marx said. 
"We simply came home because the duration of our intervention was 
over."  Finally, Marx added that the Belgian Army made the decision 
to come back. 
 
 
 
4.       (U)          The two Luxembourgish families in Haiti 
pursuing international adoptions (ref a) managed to escape harm in 
the quake but were forced to return to Luxembourg without having 
completed the adoption process.  Press reports indicate the 
families returned with the rescue mission over the weekend.  One 
daily reports that currently thirteen Luxembourg families are 
pursuing adoption of Haitian children. 
 
 
 
5.       (SBU)     On January 15, Luxembourg's Council of State 
announced a 700,000 euro pledge to ongoing efforts in Luxembourg. 
Of this total, half a million euros is designated for 
reconstruction efforts, with the remaining 200,000 euros dedicated 
to food assistance.  The GoL also announced its support for an 
international conference to organize assistance efforts to Haiti, 
as well as debt forgiveness programs.  Pol/Econ Chief spoke with 
Marc Bichler, Director of Cooperation and Development, on January 
19, thanked the GoL for its contributions to date, and delivered 
ref b demarche points.  Bichler attributed Luxembourg's rapid 
response, in part, to the close working relationship the GoL enjoys 
with its Belgian counterparts.  Bichler added that the GoL has no 
outstanding assistance offers awaiting a USG response. 
 
 
 
6.       (SBU)     Comment:  Luxembourg's lightning fast 
mobilization of a 17-member, 7-dog rescue mission to Haiti was 
impressive.  The direct response and immediate offer of assistance, 
 
 
even before we or the EU asked, symbolizes an interesting streak of 
independence.  Pledging 700,000 euros on the heels of its rescue 
mission lends credence to its commitment to this humanitarian 
action.  The rescue team's hasty effort should not be seen as 
disengagement; rather, it is indicative of realistic assessment of 
the team's capabilities.  Luxembourg was one of the first to step 
to the plate and deserves recognition for doing so. 
 
 
 
7.       Minimize considered. 
Stroum