Keep Us Strong WikiLeaks logo

Currently released so far... 143912 / 251,287

Articles

Browse latest releases

Browse by creation date

Browse by origin

A B C D F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z

Browse by tag

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Browse by classification

Community resources

courage is contagious

Viewing cable 09CONAKRY604, DADIS VISITS THE WOUNDED, DECLARES TWO DAYS OF

If you are new to these pages, please read an introduction on the structure of a cable as well as how to discuss them with others. See also the FAQs
Reference ID Created Released Classification Origin
09CONAKRY604 2009-09-30 14:04 2011-08-26 00:00 UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY Embassy Conakry
VZCZCXRO8017
PP RUEHBZ RUEHDU RUEHGI RUEHJO RUEHMA RUEHMR RUEHPA RUEHRN RUEHTRO
DE RUEHRY #0604 2731404
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
P 301404Z SEP 09
FM AMEMBASSY CONAKRY
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 4099
INFO RUEHZK/ECOWAS COLLECTIVE
RUEHZO/AFRICAN UNION COLLECTIVE
RHEFDIA/DIA WASHINGTON DC
RUEAIIA/CIA WASHDC
RHMFISS/HQ USAFRICOM STUTTGART GE
UNCLAS CONAKRY 000604 
 
SIPDIS 
SENSITIVE 
 
E.O. 12958: N/A 
TAGS: PGOV PREL PHUM KDEM ASEC GV
SUBJECT: DADIS VISITS THE WOUNDED, DECLARES TWO DAYS OF 
NATIONAL MOURNING 
 
1.  (SBU) SUMMARY.  The ruling CNDD military junta is placing 
the blame for Monday's violence squarely on Guinea's 
political actors, noting that the demonstration was illegal 
and security forces had no choice but to react to the violent 
behavior of the demonstrators.  Over a national television 
broadcast yesterday evening, Dadis was seen visiting some of 
the victims.  During the broadcast, he accused political 
leaders of orchestrating a plot to overthrow the government 
and undermine national unity.  END SUMMARY. 
 
2.  (U) Yesterday evening, CNDD President Moussa Dadis Camara 
visited several of the wounded victims of Monday's violence, 
which was broadcast over national television.  Accompanied by 
members of the CNDD and the government, Dadis said he was 
shocked at what he saw, describing the victims as "innocent 
children."  A hospital official (a Forestier) said he was 
surprised when he heard someone report that 87 people had 
been killed since only 52 had been killed in reality. 
 
3.  (U) Dadis then blamed political leaders for the violence, 
comparing Guinea's situation to that of Madagascar as he 
described Monday's event as an organized plot to overthrow 
the government.  Calling the violence pre-meditated, he said 
the demonstrators ransacked government buildings and stole 
weapons from security forces.  Dadis noted that the 
demonstration was illegal and the demonstrators' deliberate 
disobedience was meant to "mock the power."  Furthermore, he 
described the demonstration as a "subversive" movement, 
claiming that organizers had been passing out money the night 
before to mobilize participants.  Later, he claimed that many 
of the demonstrators came from outside Guinea. 
 
4.  (U) Earlier in the day, the CNDD released an official 
communique regarding the September 28 violence.  After 
extending condolences to the families of the victims, the 
CNDD promised to do everything necessary to investigate the 
events and ensure that those responsible are punished.  The 
communique notes that most of the innocent victims died as a 
result of a stampede out of the stadium rather than from 
bullet wounds. 
 
5.  (U) The bulk of the communique explains the circumstances 
behind the demonstration, emphasizing that it was illegal. 
The CNDD notes that "certain political leaders" had requested 
permission to use the stadium, but were officially denied 
because the government was preparing the stadium for a 
national soccer game (which was scheduled for at least two 
weeks later).  The CNDD described how demonstrators destroyed 
two police stations, stole weapons, and then broke down the 
gate at the stadium, which prompted the security forces to 
react in order to restore order. 
 
6.  (U) In closing, the CNDD emphasizes to its citizens and 
the international community the willingness of "certain 
political leaders" to compromise the transition process and 
undermine national unity. 
 
------- 
COMMENT 
------- 
 
7.  (SBU) Dadis is clearly distancing himself from any 
responsibility for Monday's violence and is actually shifting 
the blame towards Les Forces Vives.  Embassy has confirmed 
that two gendarmerie stations near the stadium were burned, 
but finds it difficult to believe that arms were stolen as we 
would have likely heard reports of military casualties if 
that were the case.  While there may have been some 
legitimate provocation on the part of the demonstrators, 
there is no justification for the violent response. 
 
8.  (SBU) The CNDD continues to promise that the violence 
will be investigated, but the focus on political actors 
suggests that the investigation may be focused on them as 
well, rather than on military actors - if an investigation 
takes place at all.  The government has never investigated 
the violence that took place in 2007, also at the hands of 
the military. 
 
9.  (SBU) A number of Embassy LES called in about the 
broadcast, absolutely incensed over Dadis' statements and 
behavior.  Many of these LES are Peuhl and some of them were 
present at the stadium on Monday, in accordance with their 
personal political convictions.  END COMMENT. 
BROKENSHIRE