

Currently released so far... 64621 / 251,287
Articles
Brazil
Sri Lanka
United Kingdom
Sweden
00. Editorial
United States
Latin America
Egypt
Jordan
Yemen
Thailand
Browse latest releases
Browse by creation date
Browse by origin
Browse by tag
Browse by classification
Community resources
courage is contagious
Viewing cable 06QUITO737, PROTESTS COOL, INDIGENOUS TO REGROUP
If you are new to these pages, please read an introduction on the structure of a cable as well as how to discuss them with others. See also the FAQs
Reference ID | Created | Released | Classification | Origin |
---|---|---|---|---|
06QUITO737 | 2006-03-24 19:41 | 2011-05-02 00:00 | UNCLASSIFIED | Embassy Quito |
VZCZCXYZ0004
OO RUEHWEB
DE RUEHQT #0737 0831941
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
O 241941Z MAR 06
FM AMEMBASSY QUITO
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 3949
INFO RUEHBO/AMEMBASSY BOGOTA PRIORITY 5508
RUEHCV/AMEMBASSY CARACAS PRIORITY 1663
RUEHLP/AMEMBASSY LA PAZ MAR 9755
RUEHPE/AMEMBASSY LIMA PRIORITY 0469
RUEHGL/AMCONSUL GUAYAQUIL PRIORITY 0187
RHMFISS/CDR USSOUTHCOM MIAMI FL
UNCLAS QUITO 000737
SIPDIS
SIPDIS
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: ASEC PGOV PHUM PREL EC
SUBJECT: PROTESTS COOL, INDIGENOUS TO REGROUP
REF: QUITO 725
¶1. Summary: Indigenous coalition CONAIE has temporarily
suspended protests, promising to regroup for a return to the
streets in April. The announcement followed protests March
23 in the North Central Province of Imbabura that left 12
with minor injuries and 22 arrested. The GOE has refused to
negotiate with disgruntled groups until order is restored.
End Summary.
Indigenous To Leave Quito
-------------------------
¶2. Following a day of increased violence between public
authorities and protesters, CONAIE has announced that
indigenous members in Quito will suspend protests and return
to their home communities to prepare an "uprising."
Indigenous leaders have said the suspension of protests will
only last until March 31. Macas said that on March 31, a
national indigenous assembly would be held in Riobamba where
the "uprising," most likely to begin in April, would be
planned. CONAIE leadership also announced on March 23 that
they were not ready to dialogue with the Palacio government.
Roads were reported to be open in all but Imbabura Province
Friday. In the morning, high school students blocked roads
surrounding their school in Quito. Protests on March 23 in
Imbabura left 12 injured and led to the arrest of 22.
GOE Wants Order Before Negotiating
----------------------------------
¶3. Presidential communication secretary Enrique Proano said
the GOE would not negotiate with indigenous protesters until
disruptions ceased. Proano also told press that losses due
to the strike were between 103 and 223 million dollars,
according to a government study led by the Minister of Labor.
Proano also said the government would continue the state of
emergency in the five provinces until the situation returned
to normal.
Comment
-------
¶4. CONAIE's temporarily withdrawal likely only represents a
lull in the storm. However, this break will also give GOE
officials time to elaborate a response to indigenous.
BROWN